Wednesday, May 9, 2007

MLS SALARIES


The big news last week was the Player's Union
publishing MLS salaries. The outcry from the
soccer community was loud and strong. The
consensus among fans seemed to be if low wages
continued the League would implode. A full 25%
of players were making less than $20,000 a year.
Why would anyone in their right mind, especially
college grads, take a job making less than they could
make flipping burgers? Bobby Boswell who is
starting for DC United set us fans straight. Bobby said:

"I didn’t play soccer in high school or college because I thought
“Man. I would love to make X amount of dollars one day.”
I thought, “Man, that has to be awesome to represent your country
on the biggest stage in the world.” And that is my goal. Hopefully,
I get that opportunity, but if not, I know one thing: It will be one
heck of a ride. And when you’re along for the ride, it isn’t about
money. It is about experiences and everything that goes along with
those experiences! So, I will continue to play hard everyday and try
to get better as I have always done, because at the end of the day that
is all I really can control."

Please read the rest of what he had to say on his blog at http://bobbyboswell.com/.
You need to bookmark this page. For you guys that live on facebook
and myspace Boswell let's you get close and personal to his experiences
with DC United.

Just for the record the developmental salaries in the league run between
$12,900 and $17,700. Even after Boswell's blog entries I still couldn't
get rid of the gnawing feeling that our young prospects in the sport were being
slighted. I did a little research to see what baseball, farm team players were
making their first year. I found A team average about $14,000, AA players
approximately $16,000, and triple A players about $18,000. I guess I'll have
to find something else to get up in arms about.

No comments: