Sunday, April 29, 2007

MLS PRIMETIME RECAP






Well, I had a few storylines worked out in my mind to write
today about the Dallas, Red Bull game last night. My personal
favorite involved tracking "El Piscadito's" (The little fish, Carlos
Ruiz of Dallas) dives and scoring them. I even had some great
diving video clips picked out, but Dallas didn't maintain enough
possesion to make Ruiz's flops news worthy.
I had also thought that there might be a good showing by Dallas' new Colombian midfielder Juan Toja.
I had a whole story ready about the his similarity with the last great Colombian midfielder
playing in the MLS, Carlos Valderrama. With Toja's Jim Morrison hair style I had a sidebar ready asking the hard question about Colombian midfielder's and their hairstyles. Unfortunately
the Red Bulls maintained complete control of the midfield.

Another Dallas midfielder I really didn't want to discuss, but felt I might be forced to is UNC
graduate Dax McCarty. His rookie season is starting fantastic. Like I said New York dominated
the midfield so I was off the hook on that story.
So now that the game is over I have two things I want to comment on. First Altidore is the real deal. He played like a man, alone up top, getting hacked to shreds because no one could stay with him.
Second, the game winner was scored by Hunter Freeman an outside back. I want all of you guys
that even play back occasionally to please watch the outside backs in any game you watch on TV.
BC this goes for you especially, this is the kind of movement forward I have been trying to get you guys to understand. The outcome of last week's game was also decided by an outside back. Frankie Hedjuk made the sideline run and put the cross in for the game tying goal towards the end of the game. So please watch the outside backs and their serios contribution to the offense.

No comments: