Friday, July 27, 2007

PRIMETIME HIGHLIGHTS


Chivas 2 - Red Bull NY 0
The biggest highlight from last night's game was the fact that Dave O'Brien was missing from the broadcast team. It was a great broadcast. There actually were a couple of seconds here and there of honest to gosh silence. I don't even miss the fact that I probably missed out on an important tidbit such as, "You know Eric that Suarez once played for Pumas and Tigres and collects stuffed big cats due to this early influence."

Second Highlight:
As the teams come out after half-time, Allen Hopkins asked Arena what his message to the team was. Arena said, "Well, we need to be a little patient. We don't need to get two goals back in the first ten minutes, we gotta be good and sharp in the early part of the second half and try to get that first goal and hopefully the second will come." When it goes back to the booth Wynalda says, "I hope that wasn't the speech at halftime for Ghana."

Last but not least:
The fact that soccer is such an unfair game. New York took the game to the Goats for ninety minutes but Chivas made better use of their three minutes of possession.

A Couple Observations:
Who in their right mind pays a couple of million dollars for Claudio Reyna? While the rest of the league is trying to spend their money adding South American flair to the midfield New York wastes a DP slot on a player who has only played more than twenty games in a season, twice in the last seven years.I know if I'm a General Manager I'm looking for an injury prone midfielder who can bring some Scottish Premier League style of play to my team.
Jozy Altidore continues to impress me. Last night it wasn't his play on the field (although I love watching men try to contain this boy on corners), but his interview with Alan Hopkins. Hopkins asks about how different it is playing outside mid after playing a true striker. Altidore's response is and I'm paraphrasing here, "It's no big deal you drift out a little wider, but as a freshman I really need to learn to play all the positions." You gotta love it!

No comments: