Saturday, September 29, 2007

Hope Solo Off Team

I try to avoid reporting any thing regarding the Women's National Team but there are good lessons to be learned here.As I'm sure you all are aware Hope Solo was benched for the Brasil game by coach Greg Ryan, who played Brianna Scurry instead. Well after the game Hope Solo decided to vent her frustrations with the press saying among other things that she would have made the saves that Scurry didn't and that her coach knew nothing about the game of soccer. The Soccer Insider is reporting that following a team meeting it was decided that Hope Solo would not be practicing with the team or in uniform on Sunday when the USA plays Norway. Steve Goff quoted team captain Kristine Lilly as saying:

"We do what is best for the team, and what is best for the team is the 20 of us right now, With the circumstances that happened and her going public has affected the whole group, and having her with us is still a distraction."

Here is the lesson: Eighty percent of the working population thinks that their Boss is a moron, making bone headed decisions that negatively impact their life, but if you publicly express your feelings you can expect to have the opportunity to find a dfferent boss who is more to your liking.

Lesson two: The organization is ALWAYS more important than the individual.

Here is the interview that has afforded the chance for Hope to fly solo:







Back in August, Bobby Boswell ( last year's defensive player of the year)with DC United, found himself sitting on the bench. Below is part of an interview Steve Goff did with him about the situation. This is how a professional handles it (In this case an extremely competitive male).

“Soccer Insider: How are you doing?

Bobby Boswell: I’m just working hard. I feel like I should be out there and when the coaches feel they need me, I will be ready.

SI: Is it frustrating?

BB: Yeah, you want to play, but that’s part of being a professional, it’s part of the job, and you’ve got to keep working. I think I have done pretty well in practice. I’d like to think I will get an opportunity this weekend, but if not, I’ll be ready to contribute when I am needed.

SI: Have you come to the realization of what you did wrong that resulted in this situation?

BB: I talked to Tommy and he expressed some concerns to me. He said he thought sometimes a good way to show people what they’re doing wrong is to have them watch from his perspective and ……
The team has done well. I always say, ‘If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it,’ but I’m not sure it was broken when I was taken out. I see myself as a starter, I don’t see myself as a substitute, but right now that is the role I am playing. I will earn my spot back on the field.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Boswell was substituted during seasonal play? That sounds like a different situation on multiple levels. From that conversation Boswell and his coach discussed the change, expectations and emotions. Did Ryan do that?

No, coach Ryan failed to plan the goalie postion; he failed to manage the emotions of a benched starter; and now he failed to handle the aftermath of their lose properly. Ms. Solo sure did not deserve the vieled threats of that moron or to get kicked off the team after significant contributions.

Amazed Daily said...

I wasn't debating whether or not what Ryan did was correct. I don't think there is any debate that Ryan did the single worst job managing, since Coca-Cola introduced New Coke. The bottom line is you can't run around bashing your boss and your company (in this case your coach and team) and expect to stay employed.