Friday, August 10, 2007

Beckham debut watch over


The circus came to town last night to a sold out RFK Stadium.

"Yeah, but it's great," said Ben Olsen, when asked about the commotion generated by the former England captain's presence. "If that's a circus, I'd like to play in a circus every week. With that many fans cheering -- I was on the bench looking around, and it was just such a nice venue atmosphere. That whole side over there, all cheering -- one great, great night."

Then in the 72nd minute despite a heavy downpour and Kyle Martino being sent off David Beckham made his MLS debut.

"Honestly, I told myself if he comes in, I'm going to give him five seconds, look at him, and then go on with the game," admitted Devon McTavish with a smile. "He came in, I looked over at him, I looked at all the flash bulbs going off, and said 'this is pretty cool.' And then I got back to it. But you've got to take a moment like that in."

He immediately began directing his LA Galaxy teammates, and even a man down LA looked like an entirely different team with him on the field.

"We have to look forward to the next game and work hard because it's a process that we have to get right," Beckham said. "And we will because we've got a lot of talent in this team. It's just about getting it onto the pitch and proving it."

After the game Ben Olsen got the #23 jersey. Steve Goff at the Post had this exchange on his blog:

Ben Olsen was the lucky dude with Beckham's jersey afterward, adding to his collection that includes Raul's and Gattuso's.

What will happen to it?

"My wife will probably steal it and wear it."

Who initiated the jersey exchange?

"Who do you think?"

No comments: